Thursday, June 16, 2011

You never know.


A few years ago I found Kiva.  For those of you that don't know what it is here is a quick summary.  You loan someone money that Kiva has determined needs help.  Over a period of time they pay you back and you are free to take your money and move on or reinvest.

Many months ago I loaned $25.00 to a gentleman in Lebanon to help with his business.  Kiva notified me that he had repaid the loan.  I chose to reinvest and I went through the list of people needing a loan for their various ventures.  I selected a woman in Africa and as I clicked to reinvest my $25.00 I was notified that this woman now had her complete loan and was able to move forward with her business.

Sometimes we don't always get to see what a difference we make in someone's life.  Thanks to Kiva I was able to.

13 comments:

  1. that is amazing...you are amazing:) thank you for bringing this wonderful organization to light...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! My family has been loaning money through Kiva for a few years now. With our initial investment of $200, we have made loans to multiple people. We sit down as a family and decide who to loan to next. Kiva is an amazing organization, can't recommend it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is awesome! I need to go read up more on this Kiva. It's great to be able to help those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ David ~ Kiva is a great organization living the philosophy of a hand up and not a hand out.

    @ Tim ~ Kiva is amazing and what a great way for your entire family to give back. You are amazing Tim.

    @ Vinny C ~ You can give any amount and that is what I love about Kiva. My $25.00 goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. I know about other microloans, but not this organization.
    I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a marvelous organization! I'm going to get some info on it and start doing this too. How rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that's a fantastic idea! I've never heard of this organisation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Thank you for posting this. I had no idea.
    P.S. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Ant ~ I think Kiva was the first.

    @ Linda ~ It is extremely rewarding.

    @ Talli ~ happy that I have now introduced you to Kiva

    @ dbs ~ Kiva is a great organization, I love how every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frivolous, but I have an award waiting for you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of it. What an interesting idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an excellent post. Thank-you for letting us know about this source for helping others!

    Also, could you email me your address? Daughter has a thank-you card for you, but we had already recycled your box with the return address...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had never heard of KIVA. What an amazing program and you have done another good deed by getting the word out!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love.