Monday, May 3, 2010

The test and the interview.

As I was driving to the US Immigration Office this morning I was listening to the CD provided with all the questions and answers.  It was round about the second time that I turned it off and figured if I didn't know it now, I probably would not ever know it.

I have a problem remembering dates (as my husband can attest to in me not remembering our wedding anniversary).  My history teacher in high school told me that I constantly changed the course of history when writing my exams.

Sitting in the waiting area I thought that having a pap smear right now would be more tolerable than having to wait for your name to be called.  In my letter I was told to 'dress appropriately' and was shocked that I needed to be told this.  It wasn't until I was in the waiting room did I realize why they made that an issue.  My idea of dressing appropriately was, nylons, black skirt, shirt and linen jacket, the other people in the area, well their idea was sweats, a t-shirt, jeans skin tight with tight t-shirt displaying the muffin top scenario.

My name was called and those few steps to the interview room felt like forever.  I felt as though my shoes were cement blocks.  I had to take an oath and then it all began.  The lady that interviewed me was terrific.  She talked about her allergies and sinus problems, I spoke about mine, she made me feel as though she was my best friend about to crack open a bottle of wine (wait that wouldn't happen, I live in Utah).

I was asked 10 questions and can now only remember 3. 

1.  Name a war that took place in the 1900's.  Answer: Persian Gulf War (She was impressed as she said that she only ever gets the answer WW1 or WW2)

2.  Who is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court? John Roberts

3.  How many members are there in the House of Representatives?  435

I cannot for the life of me remember the other 7 questions, but I passed them all.

I was then asked to write the following sentence:  Washington was our first President.

Then had to read a sentence in English.

I was asked the standard questions:

1.  Are you a habitual drunkard?  (define habitual?)

2.  Are you in the country to sexually solicit? (with me they would pay me to put my clothes back on!)

3.  Am I a member of any terrorist organization? (are there people that answer yes to these?)

More questions and then I was done.  I passed. 

On the 9th June I take the oath and cannot believe that in the next elections I will be able to vote.  If I add up all costs incurred with my Green Card and now my Citizenship, the sum that I come up with is close to $10,000.

So remember this blog and what I had to go through JUST TO BE ABLE TO VOTE and all you have to do is log on to the computer and register.

Can't wait for 5:00pm to roll around and open up that bottle of wine and celebrate! 

4 comments:

  1. Hope it is 5 PM by now over there ; -))

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay you!! i'm more than super proud!

    and your outfit sounds spiffy :)

    wait` where is your home country? i'm sure i could read back and find out, but, i'm just too lazy today. ...humor me please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am drinking a nice glass of Shiraz and celebrating! My home country is South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful. the wine and the country. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love.