Sunday, August 14, 2011
Recently you told T that you feel as though you failed as a parent because he does not have a driver's license. Let me help you with the top 8 things on my list as to where you actually did fail.
1. Leaving your wife and son destitute while you moved onto greener pastures.
2. Refusing to increase child support, your constant mantra ~ "Take me to court."
3. Refusing to help with co-pays for doctor visits, medicine, tuition, tutors, clothing.
4. Never attending parent teacher conference or any school event, especially his important capstone project ~ you know the one that he needed in order to graduate high school.
5. Seeing your son a total of 3 weeks a year when you lived 10 minutes away.
6. Calling your son on the last year you had Thanksgiving with him to let him know you were not doing anything special so he shouldn't bother going to your home.
7. Telling your son, while he begged you to spend more time with him, that you now had your own family.
8. Flying your son out to visit you after you had not seen him for a year and you didn't even take a week off work to spend it with him. (You have been with the company for 15 years, I am sure you had a little vacation time.)
As I sit and type this I am reminded of the phrase "Nature vs Nurture" because T. is blessed to have Bear in his life. In eleventh grade T. wrote an essay on his hero. It wasn't you.