Sunday, July 25, 2010

Renting and the reason I drink

When one has owned their own home for many years going back to the world of renting is an eye opener.

When we packed up all our belongings at our old home in Zion, placed them into the shipping containers, spent two days on the road, we finally made it to our new home. 

Let me back up just a titch (insert the beep beep sound).  Our home in Zion was 3,800 sq.ft. and it was immaculate when we left.  You could eat off the floor, even the new owner and her Realtor were shocked that it was more than broom clean.  I had the air ducts professionally cleaned, the master bedroom repainted and re-carpeted and this was not a requirement to sell the home.  The new home owner was a single mom of 3 children and her divorce was finalized a week before we left.  Having been on that side of the fence we wanted to make the transition for her as smooth as possible.

Moving forward (insert whoosh sound).  When I walked into the 'new' home I was mortified.  The bathtub was filthy, the oven had never been cleaned, the fireplace had years of soot and the yard, OMG don't get me started on the yard. 

The next day our landlady arrived and asked me how I was doing.  For those of you who know me are probably giggling at this point as you know what the outcome was going to be.  My fuse line was lit and I launched. 

So at what point do you as a renter stop doing fix ups?  My only consolation is the owners have no idea who they rented to.  They love my husband and I am sure that by his kind face and gentle demeanor alone is probably what got us the home. 

This saying comes to mind and I am sure all of you that are within the inner circle will agree.

A friend will stop you from overreacting. A best friend will walk beside you giggling, “Someone is about to be bitch slapped!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Love.